The University of Eastern Finland Library is a public scientific library open to everyone who is seeking information. As a public academic library we are offering library and information services especially for the university staff and students.
The Library comprises the campus libraries in Joensuu and Kuopio and the Kuopio University Hospital Medical Library. Our main functions are to support teaching and learning and to support research and publishing. The library is one of the six legal deposit libraries in Finland and a European Documentation Centre.
The functions of the library are defined by the Rules and Regulations of the University of Eastern Finland.
The tasks of the Library:
1. to be responsible for the development and administration of the university’s library and information services
2. to offer library and information services and to organise teaching and guidance which promote the efficient use of information sources
3. to operate as a scientific library open to the public and to attend to the tasks assigned to the Library by legislation
4. to promote the availability of information sources by being actively involved in the scientific library network
5. to improve and develop the university’s publication activities and services relating to open science within the scope of operations of the Library
The action plan of the library 2021-2024 defines the values and the goals of the library, the library as the supporter of the university's strategic goals, the key users and partners as well as the assessment and monitoring.
Our annual reports (in Finnish, with abstracts in English) of years 2010-2020 were published in the UEF eRepository and the newer ones at UEF Library blog.
Organization of the library