An eligible applicant should have at least a lower university degree (BSc) in environmental or biological sciences, obtained at an internationally recognized and accredited university or higher education institution. In addition to these basic requirements, studies in human biology, as well as physics or chemistry during the bachelors studies are expected from the applicant.
The degree should entitle the applicant to apply to Master's studies in the country where the degree has been awarded. In addition, In case, the applicant has not yet received a Bachelors degree certificate by the admission deadline, he/she is required to submit an officially certified copy of his/her latest transcript of records during the application period. If the applicant receives the degree certificate and the final transcript of records during the application period it is recommended to submit them as soon as possible.
Applicants are ranked according to the selection criteria. 10 best applicants are accepted and the rest are rejected. There is no waiting list.
Applicants must either (1) meet the language proficiency criteria (see below), or (2) reach the minimum required language test results to be considered eligible to the University of Eastern Finland. No exceptions will be made and no waivers to the language proficiency requirements are given.
1. Applicants who hold one of the following do not have to take an English language test
- Previous education or higher education has been completed in English in EU/EEA -countries, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand or in Switzerland.
2. All other applicants have to take one of the following language tests
- TOEFL iBT, overall score 92, min. 22 in writing
- IELTS (academic) overall score 6.5, min. 6.0 in writing
- PTE (academic), overall score 62, min 54 in writing
- C1 Advanced overall score C or 180, with min. 162 in writing
- C2 Proficiency overall score level C1 or 180, with min. 162 in writing
- National Certificate of Language Proficiency YKI-test: level 5 in all different subtests (reading comprehension, writing and speaking). It is possible to combine different examinations.
No other degrees or statements of language proficiency will be accepted. TOEFL, IELTS and PTE certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued, i.e. the language test need to be in effect during the application period, from 3 January 2022 onwards.